- Meat and poultry
- Beef mince
Cheap and easy to make especially as you can leave it in the oven and pretty much forget about it :)
Lanarkshire, Scotland, UK
234 people made this
- 600g mince (any kind but I use beef)
- 1 handful chopped onion
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 handful mixed sliced veg
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- fresh stock (I use homemade depending on what we have had for dinner before - beef, veg or even chicken)
- gravy browning, enough to colour
- 5-4 potatoes, peeled and sliced
- grated cheese (optional)
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:1hr ›Ready in:1hr20min
- Fry the mince, onion, salt and pepper together until brown. I personally don't use any oil as there is usually enough juice from the meat.
- Add the veg (either fresh or frozen) and mix in well.
- Add the plain flour and mix until it forms a thick paste. Gradually add the stock until there is enough liquid to cover the top of the meat. Keep stirring until it is just the right thickness according to personal taste. (Using homemade stock I add browning to colour and I salt to taste as it can be a little bland without.)
- Once the mixture has started to bubble, transfer to an ovenproof dish and place the sliced potatoes on top to cover all of the mince. I do this in a snake line :)
- Cover with a few knobs of butter or if preferred, grated cheese, making sure that the potatoes are sitting at least half way into the meat mixture and juices.
- Cook at about 140 C / Gas 2 for approximately 40 minutes or until the veg is cooked and the potatoes are brown and slightly crispy and cheese and bubbling and brown.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(15)
Reviews in English (15)
I made this for two people with reduced amount an cooking time. The mince came out with a lovely texture an the sauce was nice an thick, but I found the dish as a whole although edible to be lacking in flavour.I doubt I'll make it again.-12 Jun 2010
dead easy, dead tasty can be tweaked if you don't have everything in the cupboard, fridgeVery versatile....enjoyThanks for sharing-01 Apr 2013
So easy to make and delicious. I did however, make a couple of small changes. I added some tomato puree to the mixture and the potatoes I sliced and par boiled as we do like our tatties! Tipped them on the mixture and lots of grated cheese on the top - superb!!!-25 Nov 2011